Tuesday 8 July 2014

Vinoteca - Soho



Vicoteca Soho


                           




I was looking for somewhere relaxed with some good old fashioned grub.nothing fancy, just good food and good wine.
 I have this fear of choosing somewhere lame, I like to think (especially since I work in the food industry) that I can pick the diamonds from the rough when it comes to restaurants, on this occasion I used not only my knowledge but also the not so trusty tripadvisor reviews to give me some false confident in tonight's selection.

Lets start with the positives, I know that Vinoteca sources good quality produce, that's for sure, I also know that the Farringdon branch is extremely highly spoken amongst foodies in London, the restaurant is relaxed and their range of wine is fantastic, there's a massive selection and some good value wines included, we paid only £19.00 for our bottle which was delicious, sadly the positives end there.
  I started with a spring vegetable salad with quails eggs pleasant enough but tight on the good bits, I only had one quails egg which just wasn't enough to compliment my vegetables. Nice but not going to remember this one. For main I had the Dover sole with Caper butter with sides of spinach and new potatoes, now I can't knock the caper butter it was tasty and rich and the sole was cooked well and obviously fresh, my partners Lamb was okay but again very dull, so you may now be wondering what my big issue with Vinoteca Soho is right? well it was just all so meh, excuse my lack of vocabulary,just can't think of a better way of describing the overall feeling.I couldnt help but think how I could make this all at home just as good and for a fraction of the price, now I appreciate the rustic-ness, I was quite looking forward to it! And I'm aware Vinoteca aren't selling themselves as fine dining, but if so why did I pay £120.00 for a very average meal?! The other issue was the service,don't get me wrong our waitress was very efficient, drinks were topped up, orders were taken swiftly but so much so that she seemed rushed and a bit panicky, it was a bit off putting when you're trying to relax.

I feel slightly guilty as Vinoteca didn't do anything majorly wrong, but they also didn't do anything majorly right.
Go to Picture as a reliable option for wholesome food at decent prices or Apero at the Ampersand hotel.


Wine: 9/10
Food: 5/10
Service: 6/10
Ambiance: 5/10

http://www.vinoteca.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/todays-menu-soho.pdf


No comments:

Post a Comment